Friday, November 9, 2007

We're Living in a Computerless World...

...and I am a computerless girl... what?

So, I have my computer working again. I got a processor fan in the post and replaced my old, janky one (it was making a lot of clicking noises and/or not spinning at all) and it runs smooth and silent and it works again. And its like a dream.

But for the three short days in which I had no computer and had to live in the library, here at Drake, I felt disconnected from the world.

In my first year at Drake I felt I had spent too much time on the Internet and not enough time on studies, so I removed my Ethernet cord and lived a disconnected life for a week. It was torture and I got less done because I simply played computer solitaire instead of reading and studying.

But, that's because I had a computer. While I wasn't connected to the world through the Internet, I could be connected to Midgar in Final Fantasy VII or my imagination through MSWord.

But those three days where I had no computer, I couldn't help the characters in the first Final Fantasy save their world, I couldn't talk to my girlfriend online until 2AM, I couldn't catch up on webcomics, I couldn't write homework or fiction, and I couldn't even browse through my folders.

Some people are big on cars, others on sports teams or just the sport itself. My computer is like an extension of my being, like another limb. Without it, I feel like I've lost an arm or a leg, and I stop functioning altogether.

I'm glad I have it back.

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University. But pretend they are, anyway.

 
eXTReMe Tracker