Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Episode 35: Story (or: What I'm Writing About)

So, since I blog in many other places far more often than I even look at this site, I figured I'd let you all in on a little secret; the themes, characters, and general plot for my new story I've been working on for the past week.

The story is -currently!- titled "The Many Loves of Everbody Stills" and, as you can probably guess, focuses on one main character, namely a man named Everbody Stills. This is a strange name, I know, but it came to me while I was in the shower one day and, well... It is what it is. Don't debate things like this with me... Once I've made up my mind on it, it's pretty much done.

This story is going to chronicle the life of Everbody from his conception to his near-death (and possibly further, not sure yet...) and deal with, as the temporary title suggests, his many loves throughout that life.

But I'm a comedian first and a drama person second, you say? How could I possibly write a love story? Well, let me inform you that this will be no LOVE story. Not. A. Love story.

More to the point, it is a story of what it is to love and the dire effects that this has on a human being and his life. It is also a story of man's quest to find love and fulfill the missing gap in himself that can only be filled by the returned love of a woman (or man, but not in this story, pal!).

As is the case in real life, this story will have ups and down, comic moments of sheer gold balanced out with depressing bogs of sorrow and pain. Everbody will be run through the gauntlet by the time it reaches the story's conclusion.

I have, to date, 130+ single-spaced pages and am not close to finishing. Chances are good that I'll have more content than I'll know what to do with by the time I either finish it and start to compile and organize (I'm not writing in a flowing narrative... I'm writing in sections... GOD HELP ME!) or I give up and quit. But I'm having fun, and I know the entire story, so...

Anyhow, otherwise... I guess in the near future I'll have some more movie reviews (Silver Surfer and Knocked Up for example), and I'll share some wonderful pictures/stories about summer. Until then, though....

Godspeed,
-Skyler

No comments:

This is not an official page of Drake University. Content, comments and information are not necessarily those of Drake University. But pretend they are, anyway.

 
eXTReMe Tracker